How to replace Volvo Radio and keep factory Amplifier?
Volvo Premium Sound or High Performance Sound system includes radio tuner, speakers, subwoofer and 40W x4 amplifier (mounted behind the radio) or 50Wx4 (mounted under passenger seat). Replacing the factory Radio and keeping the rest of the system is not as easy as placing an aftermarket unit in its place. Your installer may suggest the entire audio system must be rewired, but thanks to the ARH-VOL it is now possible to replace the SC-xxx (e.g. SC-816) and HU-xxx (e.g. HU-850) radios in Volvo 940, C70, V60, S40, S70, S80, V70, XC70 and retain amplifier and the rest of the system including speakers, Subwoofer.
The ARH-VOL eliminates the following radio replacement/Amp retention issues:
1. No sound coming from main speakers
2. Only main speakers play
3. Subwoofer does not play.
Follow these steps to Install New Radio and retain OEM amplifier: (This harness is only required in vehicles with amplifier)
1. Remove Volvo radio from dash.
2. Disconnect 6-pin DIN "AMP" plug from radio and connect to ARH-VOL
3. Connect/Tap blue wire to aftermarket radio amplifier turn-on lead (usually blue)
4. Connect aftermarket radio Line outputs to the ARH-VOL RCA's [Front (short), Rear (long)]
5. Follow aftermarket radio installation steps as recommended by its manual
When replacing the factory radio, in addition to the ARH-VOL you may also need: BHA9220 OR BHA9221 harness and BAA24 antenna adapter.
1. Required only if equipped with factory amplifier.
2. Not applicable to newer Volvo ICM (infotainment control module)
3. Assembly required.