How to replace Volvo radio and keep factory amplifier?
Volvo Premium Sound or High Performance Sound system includes radio tuner, speakers, sub-woofer and 40W x4 amplifier (mounted behind the radio) or 50Wx4 (mounted under passenger seat). Replacing the factory radio and keeping the rest of the system is not as easy as placing an aftermarket unit in its place. Your installer may suggest rewiring the entire audio system, but thanks to the Exclusive ARH-VOL, it is now possible to replace Volvo SC-xxx (e.g. SC-816) and HU-xxx (e.g. HU-850) radios, retain amplifier and the rest of the system (including speakers) in Volvo 940, C70, V60, S40, S70, S80, V70, XC70.
The ARH-VOL eliminates the following radio replacement/Amp retention issues:
1. No sound coming from main speakers
2. Only main speakers play
3. Subwoofer does not play.
Follow these steps to Install aftermarket radio and retain OEM amplifier: (This harness is required only for vehicles with factory amplifier)
1. Remove Volvo radio from dash.
2. Disconnect 6-pin DIN "AMP" plug from radio and connect to ARH-VOL
3. Connect/Tap blue wire to aftermarket radio amplifier turn-on lead (usually blue)
4. Connect aftermarket radio Line outputs to the ARH-VOL RCA's [Front (short), Rear (long)]
5. Follow aftermarket radio installation steps as recommended by its manual
When replacing the factory radio, in addition to the ARH-VOL you may also need: BHA9220 OR BHA9221 harness and BAA24 antenna adapter.
1. Required only if equipped with factory amplifier.
2. Regardless of appearances, the ARH-VOL will not work in other cars or applications. Damage may occur if used in wrong application.
3. Assembly required.